Doctors, as well as those experts on health websites, tell you that drinking several glasses of water a day is necessary to keep you hydrated and healthy. While this may be true, and water does keep your body hydrated and even washes some toxins from your body, it may not be as healthy for you as most people think. Have you ever found yourself wondering what is in your drinking water?
Do you really know what kinds of bacteria, minerals, and chemicals you are ingesting each and every time you drink a glass of water? If not, here are a few things you should know about drinking water and what it contains:
Most people think that city water is completely safe to drink due to the chlorine and fluorine that is added to water in order to kill bacteria and help fight cavities. However, when water was tested in several municipalities in 42 different states, it was discovered that the average city water supply contains over 260 contaminants.
These contaminants come from urban run-off, pollution from industries. In addition, many municipalities also add as much chlorine to their water supply as is allowed, thinking that more is better. Unfortunately, chlorine is a poison and ingesting even small amounts of it over a long period of time can result in a variety of health problems.
People who live in the country often feel that the water from their own well is healthier than city water. Well water normally comes from underground springs that get some of their water supply from rain. Rain can carry pollutants from fertilizers and pesticides and in addition it can often have high mineral content, especially magnesium.
Well water may also contain high levels of nitrates. However, rocks and the soil itself, leaving it free of common bacteria, often filter well water. It does not reduce the mineral content of the water. However, such minerals as magnesium, and calcium may actually be good for your health.
If what is in your well or city water has you worried enough to consider only drinking bottled water, then perhaps you need to think again. First, you need to realize that bottled water comes from wells, and contains all the bacteria that well water does.
When the water is bottled, chemicals are added to kill the bacteria. In addition, the plastic bottles themselves have harmful chemicals that can leak into the water. BPA ( Bisphenol A) is a special concern as it may effect brain health, behavior, and the prostrate glands of fetuses. Millions of plastic bottles from bottled water end up in landfills each year, making bottled water less healthy than either well or city water.
How To Make Your Water Safer
Experts suggest that if you want to make your water safer, to purchase a water filter. Different experts suggest different types of water filters. However, it seems that perhaps charcoal filters that remove bacteria without destroying the minerals present in the water are the better option.
Demineralized water can cause of range of negative effects on your health, including robbing your body of necessary nutrients. There is simply no way to rid water of all potential hazards, however, it does seem that if your water comes from a well in an area where few pesticides or fertilizers are used, that natural water may be the safest of all.
If your home water fit to drink? Do you use a filter? Do you worry about what’s in your drinking water? Does it have a funny taste?